Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 27. März 2007

Grrrr

I went to work yesterday with Joern. He made a big deal that I go to work with him because he would be down by the Swiss border, and I absolutely love it there. It was great, especially since we drove through the Black Forest, and they still have snow. Probably one of my last snow sightings of the season. Hmpf!
I know it sounds like I´m bragging, but I´m really not... Joern took a wrong turn in order to avoid going to Switzerland (because if you enter Switzerland with commercial samples- like salt, you have to pay a huge fine.) Well, turns out our wrong turn put us on a bridge to France. So, Joern decided to make the best of it and go grocery shopping in France! We actually haven´t gone to our favorite French grocery store in a while, because we buy too much and then eat too much. So, we promised ourselves we would only buy a few items that you can´t get in the grocery stores here, and some wine.
When it came to buying wine, we were stumped. As you can imagine, French grocery stores have an aisle that runs the entire lenghth of a usually very large store for wine. We always are confused about what to buy, because of course, the labels are only in French, and even if they weren´t, French wines aren´t classified by grape type- no Syrah or Cab. Since it seems that the French export all their cheap wine, no bottle is less than 5 euro (Joern refuses to spend much more than $7 a bottle) so we are always at our spending cap from the beginning. We ended up with only one bottle, which was oh so sad.
And of course, what happened today? I opened my Martha Stewart magazine, that I am proud to recieve in Germany, and there was an entire article on French wine! The types were beautifully described! Argh! The kicker was that I had the magazine in the car with me yesterday, I just failed to open it! It will be nice to have it for our next French grocery outing- which won´t be for a while :(
On a completely different note- I´m nervous about class tonight. Last week, I skipped both classes. I hate going into class after I´ve missed one, and now, it´s two! I will be really happy when I speak German and don´t have to do these classes anymore!
But I guess it´s really time for me to open my books and try to figure out what I missed. Must break myself away from the computer!!!

Keine Kommentare: