Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Sonntag, 14. März 2010

Mandy's Shower

I know that I am so very lucky to live overseas. Living in Germany, has afforded me the most incredible opportunities, I've seen amazing places and met some of the most interesting people and kids.
But, I have missed things from home. I have missed out on many celebrations of friends, including weddings and births. So, for me to be able to attend a bridal shower for my friend Mandy, yesterday, was so exciting and fun.
Mandy is one of my closest friends here in Germany. We met during my second year working at Patch High School, right when I was really needing friends. She and I have been through a lot together over these past 7 years and I was so very excited to when she asked me to be a part of her wedding party. I must say, I was also a bit relieved when her friend Jill asked to host her bridal shower. Not that I did not want to host the shower, but I knew it would be a monumental task.
Jill did a fabulous job yesterday! It was held in a wonderful little restaurant that was once a working mill. The coolest was that Jill and her boyfriend spoke with the owner and asked if he could open in the afternoon specifically for the party! Normally, German restaurants close after lunch and re-open around 5:30 for dinner. It was so kind of the owner to open for us, and it was so much fun to have a private party :) It was good too, because 9 American women at a bridal shower can cause quite a rucus.
We had so much fun chatting and playing games, which by the way, were more fun than the traditional bridal shower games. I even won a nail polish (in the roll the orange relay.)
I was really surprised that my gift was such a hit. After agonizing over the "perfect gift," I finally settled on beer glasses. Joern, Marcel, and their friend Georg always give Mandy a lot of grief over not having beer glasses. Germans are serious about beer, and the method of serving it. So, I got Mandy Hefeweizen glasses and Pils glasses. Joern must have spent 1/2 and hour looking for approrpiate Pils glasses. I didn't know how exact a glass had to be to properly qualify as useable to a German.
After gifts, we had a very yummy cake made by Mandy's friend Heidi.
It was such a fun time, and I am so very, very happy for Mandy!

Keine Kommentare: