Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010

My accomplishment for today

I was supposed to meet my friend Adele for coffee in Stuttgart this afternoon. Since I haven't really left the apartment much in the past 6 weeks, I only realized today that I had officially lost my cell phone, my glasses, and my keys. Since I knew Joern would be back before me, I headed out without my housekeys, an old pair of glasses, and iphoneless. I sat down in my car, and nothing. The battery was dead! Since I was now locked out of my apartment, with no phone, I decided to walk to my in-laws' house, afterall, they are our landlords, so they have a key.
When I got there, I was told that they were waiting for a very important telephone conference and when it was over, they'd look for the housekeys for me. I guess I should explain that my father-in-law runs an import business. They normally import toys and trend items from the far-east, most often China. Joern plans on taking over the business in time, and we have an ongoing discussion on my future involvement in the company.
Well, I was really thrown into it today. The telephone conference was with an English man working for an American company. Joern and his father have had a really difficult time with this company, and they planning on dissolving the business relationship today.
When the conference began, the English guy asked if Joern was available because his German translator was unavailable. My mother-in-law said that despite Joern being away, that they could continue the conference, and then handed the phone to ME!!!
Oh my goodness, that was scary. I had to translate everything back and forth! I don't mind talking in German, but in something business related, it was quite scary. Especially when my father-in-law started bringing up lawyers, and customer protection coverage. Oy!
The whole thing lasted about 7 minutes, but it was crazy. I am so glad that Joern speaks English, because I hope that this is something I won't have to do often.
Of course, I must say that I am pretty proud of myself, and my grammatically flawed German :)

1 Kommentar:

Emily hat gesagt…

Awesome stuff Allison!

The import stuff is so interesting - it looks like you have your work cut out for you, but at least there's something to keep you on your toes.

You'll have to stop by for another visit once we get our new place set up!