Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Donnerstag, 10. Juni 2010

Goodnight to 30

I have about an hour and a half left of 30, soon, I will be 31. I remember turning 29, and being so upset about turning 29, knowing that 30 was right around the corner. When I was 29, 30 seemed to be just old. When I turned 30, I was surprised that it wasn't half as scary to me as turning 29.
I enjoyed being 30. I awoke on the morning of my 30th birthday looking out to the Eiffel Tower. I am so thankful to Joern that he helped to make this big year so special. We had a wonderful birthday weekend, even though we had to return to Paris a few weeks later for a delayed birthday dinner cruise.
The year was good. We traveled home twice, and I got to spend time with old friends. I also spent a lot of time with my cousin Elizabeth, which was so much fun!
Work was okay this year. I worked hard over the summer on my teaching certification, and then had to put it on hold again. It is in work that I notice how much I've grown up. I am much more confident in how I deal with the kids, and my colleagues. I am getting better at advocating for myself, and for the kids at ISS.
In October, I passed my German driving exam, a big accomplishment! And then, I bought a car.
We said "goodbye" to Marcel, as he moved to Switzerland. We see him about once a month now, but his moving has surely changed things for us. Life at our apartment was much quiter, and 30 saw us sleeping though the weekend nights.
30 also saw the closure of my mother's estate, and with that, true closure with mom. I missed my mom a lot this year.
30 was a big year because we planned our house. Today, we even received our address!
Most importantly though, I feel like I've become much more confident in who I am. I feel good with my life, and of course, I am so proud of the relationship I have with Joern. We really have created a very strong, and special marriage.
Tomorrow morning, I will wake up for my last birthday in our apartment. I know that 31 is destined to be a very exciting and memorable year!

Keine Kommentare: