Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Freitag, 2. Juli 2010

An exciting start to the summer!

Thursday was our last day of school with the kids. It was a very hot, busy day, but the kids were all so sweet and I will miss them this summer. I received some very kind gifts, including a some tea and a mug, body lotion, chocolates, flowers, and perfume. The kids are always so proud to give you a gift at the end of the school year. So sweet!
I had a fun afternoon on Thursday. After work, I went out with my friend Iris. We checked out the Cupcake Boutique, but unfortunately, were not really in the mood to eat after our free ice cream at school. So, we just went to a cafe and chatted for quite a while.
Yesterday was our last work day. It was so hot at work, it was difficult to work. But, we got most of the room settled for the summer. Everything put away and everything off the floor.
I had a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon, so sadly, I could not attend the staff barbecue. But, I got amazing news at the doctor's. He showed us my recent blood work. My medication requires that I must have monthly blood work. The doctor said that in the last few months, I have tested negative for an infection, something which has not occured since I started having my blood taken a few years ago. But then he also told me that for the first time ever, my white blood cell count was also in the normal range. Then he said, "your blood work is so good, you can apply to NASA :)" It was so very exciting to receive the news that not only has my medicine helped me to feel better, but now there is proof in my bloodwork that it is really working. Hooray!
Not only did we have that good news to celebrate yesterday, but it was also Joern's last day of working for the salt company. I can't believe that after almost 8 years, Joern is no longer the Salt Man. The management at the company changed in the past year, and the working conditions have really taken a downturn. The beginning of the end was when they merged with a ketchup company, which gave the salesforce too many products, not enough time, and resulted in a pay cut. This was really the best time for Joern to leave, as his parents' company has really picked up and they cannot keep up without Joern working with them full time. Of course, he will also be taking over the business in the next few years, so it was really time for him to move over.
Well, there you have it. An exciting start to our summer for both Joern and myself. We shared a delicious bottle of champagne with my in-laws, and now realized it is time to go back to Reims, to the champagne houses, as we're out of our direct-from-the-source Champagne.
Today and tomorrow will be busy working days around the apartment, and we leave at 8 am Monday morning for home!

Keine Kommentare: