Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Montag, 1. November 2010

Waving hello from Dublin!

Its Monday night, and I'm sad that one full day in Ireland is already over.  We've had a great trip so far!
We flew Lufthansa out of Frankfurt yesterday at 10:35.  Flight was great and totally uneventful, which is the best kind of flight.  It was a little sad that I honestly couldn't remember the Dublin airport, but flying in did bring back tons of memories, like flying into Dublin for the first time, with no idea what lie ahead.  Wow.
After landing, we took an Air Coach into the city, and got off on O'Connell Street, about two blocks up the street from our hotel.  It was so fun and so exciting to walk down O'Connell Street again.
Our hotel, Wynn's Hotel, is fabulous!  It is so old and has that classic turn-of the century feel.  Plus,we're really in the city center.  And there is a LUAS stop (the new, and lovely tram system,) right outside of the hotel. It isn't bothersome at all.
Yesterday was pretty quiet.  We enjoyed fish and chips for lunch, and then took a rest.  Before heading out for dinner, we stopped off for a pint in the hotel bar, which is so cool.  Dinner was at TGI Friday's (wahoo!) at St. Stephen's Green.
This morning, we made our way to the center again, in the rain, and headed towards my old school and my old dorm.  It was so exciting the way the streets and areas came back to me, and poor Joern, got lots of stories.  It was sad to find out my school was renamed the Irish American University, instead of American College Dublin. And the International Student Dormitory is gone.  Actually, most of the block of apartments where I lived are all for rent.  Made me a little sad to see just how strongly the city has been impacted by the economy.
To make myself feel better, we headed into Oil Can Harry's, the pub that was our old hangout.  They had a pretty good lunch crowd.  I enjoyed a half pint of Bulmers and had some yummy fish chowder.  Joern enjoyed some fish and chips and a Smithwicks.  Joern is sadly still on the hunt here for a beer he likes.
After a great time at the "Can" we walked to the Guiness Storehouse.  It was so different from their museum that I visited last time I was here.  But really cool.  I loved the Gravity Bar, the totally glass enclosed bar on their 7th floor. 
I think we're headed to the Temple Bar area tonight for some good music and good Craic. 
So far, so good.  Tomorrow, we're off to Galway!

Keine Kommentare: