Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2010

I swear, I'm here! Christmas Market Edition

I just realized that it has been almost a month since I've last posted. I think I have a reasonably good excuse, I've been sick.  Somehow, I  was blessed  with a wonderful cold that is in its thrid week.  I went to work, and we went about our daily activities, but I have been really wiped out.
Otherwise, things are going well here.  I still have quite mixed feelings about not being home this Christmas. 
I can't believe that I won't be home at all this Christmas.  On the other hand, it is much less stressful not to travel.  The weather for flying is abysmal, and many people have experienced huge delays and cancellations of their flights.  Further, I am pretty certain that flying with this cold would be absolutely miserable.  But, that doesn't change the fact that I miss my family.

In order to balance out my feelings, I have been trying to make the most of Germany at Christmas.  Joern and I have been busy going to Christmas markets here, which isn't so easy when your feeling miserable.  But I am determined enjoy it here this year.  We have gone to downtown Stuttgart a few times after work.  This is always my favorite time to go to the Christmas market in Stuttgart, because it is not so busy when we get there at 3:30, and by the time it starts to fill up, we are ready to leave.  What has made it all the better of course is that we've been pretty much blanketed with snow for the past month.  You can't get more Christmassey that this!








Last night, Joern and I headed to Esslingen, a medieval town in our area.  Esslingen's Christmas market is so special and unique, not only because Esslingen is such a beautiful town, but also because they hold a medieval Christmas market.  Of course what is fantastically cool about a medieval Christmas market in Germany is that, well, it is old anyway. You can really get the feel of what it must have been like back then at a market.  The sights and smells of the market is so unique.  It is really a special place.




Mmm, hot Met (Mead, honey wine)



Hemp seed pockets- so yummy!




There is only more day to enjoy a few, select Christmas markets here in Germany, and then it is time to say bye-bye for another year.  

Keine Kommentare: