Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Mittwoch, 9. April 2008

Not really sure I want to grow up

Sure, the American dream isn't much different from the German dream. Mainly, work hard, save a lot of money, and have your own house. Joern and I have done the right things so far. We got married, got jobs we are happy with, and saved money. Now, we're moving toward our next goal, a home of our own.
The thought of our home means only a thousand freedoms. No more neighbors poking through which trash we put in which bin. No one complaining that I don't unplug my washing machine every time I use it, nor a thousand questions as to why my washing machine is so big. ("Surely Frau Allison, this washing machine is for a large family." And of course, no more kehrwoche.

But, I have started to take a good look around our apartment, at all the things that need work. We have mold growing on many windows, and of course, the leaky kitchen wall that is still waiting for a repair. The light in the bathroom that keeps blowing the fuse. The slowly leaking kitchen faucet. The door that has broken off the TV stand in the living room. The door to our china cabinet that needs a repair. And the tousand light bulbs that need to be replaced. Now, our washing machine is leaving funny spots on our clothes. Who fixes all this stuff? What happens when our living area is doubled, tripled, quadrupled? I am pretty sure the repairs grow exponentially!

Buying a house is a really exciting prospect, but it is really scary for a thousand and one reasons, finances aside. I love where we live right now, but it is not realistic for the long run. I just wish that I could find the number to the "house fixer upper fariy"!

Keine Kommentare: