Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 17. August 2010

Cape Cod Part I

During the last week of our trip home, Joern and I headed up to Cape Cod for four days. The great thing about the Cape is that it is so unique in terms of its location and beauty, and it is so close to home.
We headed out on Monday morning, and after a stop at Wal-Mart and the outlet center in Westbrook,CT, we officially hit the road around 2 pm. Traffic was great, and by 4:30, we were crossing over the Sagamore Bridge and officially entering the Cape.
Unfortunately, it isn't too easy to take a picture on a bridge from a moving car, but this is the Cape Cod Canal underneath us as we cross the bridge:

We headed towards Orleans, which is located approximately in the center of the Cape. Lots of people advised that this would be a good place to stay for Joern's first trip, because of its central location, you ´can reach all areas of the Cape in well under an hour.
Finding good deals on hotels in the Cape in the summer is like finding a needle in a haystack, but we got relatively lucky. We stayed at the Cove Motel in Orleans. Not bad. The view from the hotel was particularly beautiful.



Once we got checked in and freshened up, we decided to do a little exploring before dinner.




Dinner was at the Lobster Claw, a pretty popular family style restaurant in Orleans.
I have to admit, my dinner was a bit indulgent, but a very welcome taste of home. I had a lobster boil dinner, which included lobster, corn on the cob, and 12 steamed clams. I haven't had steamers in years, and boy, were they just as delicious as I remembered!

Joern decided that he wanted to go for a ride after dinner. We headed up towards Provincetown, which lies on the tip of the Cape. We found ourselves at Herring Cove Beach near P-town, just as the sun was setting. Turns out going to the beach and watching the sunset is a hobby at the Cape! Of course, I quickly learned why watching sunsets is so popular there!



We drove through Provincetown before heading home. It was a beautiful night!

Keine Kommentare: