Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Samstag, 8. März 2008

Continuing the multicultural celebration

Doll's Day fell at a perfect time this year in the life of the ISS. We got to celebrate the Japanese holiday as the kick off of our Multicultural Weeks. I guess it started as Multicultural Week, but this year, they had too many great ideas and plans to fit everything in one week's time. We've been busy attending special multicultural productions and our monthly ELC (Early Learning Center) assembly celebrated the many heritages of our children.
Last night (Friday,) was another special celebration for our week. The parents, and some employees, made food from their home countries. All of us other lucky people, staff and parents, got to pay a mere 2 Euro and stuff ourselves full of wonderful treats from all over the world!
The parents took their jobs quite seriously, and had beautifully decorated tables for each country. I was especially excited to have some delicious REAL Mexican food, something that is quite difficult to come by in Germany.
Joern came with me, and we met up with two other assistants I work with. Wow, so much food! Besides my most delicious Mexican tamales and burrito, I sampled some sushi, Swedish meatballs, Indian lemon rice with chana masala, a delicous Italian bean and meat salad, and some English sausage puffs. By the time I started my quest for desert, I was so stuffed, I could only force down a Scottish shortbread cookie!
It was great to be able to mingle with the parents and spend some time with my co-workers outside of the daily setting. But, my favorite part of the night was the hugs from the kids we work with, many of whom were also there :)
It was a super fun night!

Keine Kommentare: