Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 25. März 2008

One week ago today...

One week ago today, we made our way to the northwest interior of the island. The ride was amazing. I always find it so incredible that in 15 minutes, you can travel from a packed touristy beach to a sweeping mountainy wilderness, and just beyond that, you can stand on top of a sea cliff and stare into the vastness of the Mediterranean Sea.



As we wound our way through streets that meandered through the mountains, the first thing I noticed were the many orange and lemon groves! Growing up in CT, you have an idea that citrus fruits come from trees, but really, they're more of a grocery store item. I can't believe how beautiful it is to see an orange grove. The oranges and lemons brought such a sweet, happy color to the dark green of the leaves of the many trees.
We finally made our way to Soller, a village that lies in a valley along with two other very small village, Fornalutx and Biniaraix.
Soller was such a charming village. The streets were delightfully narrow, and the center was highlighted by a government building, a church, and a square lined with cafes.




We laughed at the sign at the beginning of the street that said Centre Commericial, as our view of a commercial center lands in a mall, not a street lined with small shops, and wonderful panderias. In typical Jörn travel fashion, we made our way to the center, and grabbed a perfect seat at a cafe, sipped cappuccinos and people watched for an extended period.


Our next destination following the village of Soller, was the Port of Soller, about 3 km away. Typical to the island, we were quickly out of the mountains, and in a wonderfully magical little port town. In Port Soller, the beach, then make our way to the shops and restaurants along the water. We had a delicious lunch overlooking the harbor.
As we left, we chose another mountain road instead of the highway back to our hotel. Once again, you rarely go wrong with the road less traveled. The view from high above the port was simply incredible!
Another highlight of Tuesday was Casa Gonzalo, a typical Mallorquin grill restaurant. Jörn fell in love with the restaurant at first sight. It was to be the beginning of a beauiful relationship, Jörn and Casa Gonzolo. But, I will hold the rest of that story for another time :)

Seven days later (today) we woke up to lots of snow. Actually, the most snow we've had all winter! I had to return to work all bundled up, I even got to wear a hat I had purchased over Christmas and never had the opportunity to wear. I have to say though, looking back through the pictures of last week Tuesday makes me long to be where we were "one week ago".








Keine Kommentare: