Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 4. Januar 2011

How we rang in the New Year

Instead of going out this New Year's Eve, we decided instead to enjoy a lovely meal at home, just the two of us.  Later, we headed over to our house to celebrate.  And, we ended the evening by a toast with my in-laws.

Our original plan was to cuddle together and enjoy a dinner of cheese fondue and a thermos of Glühwein in our house.  But, we were dog sitting the week between Christmas and New Year's, and the dog was upset by the fireworks, so we thought it would be best to stay at our apartment for the majority of the night. 

We started with some wine and a platter of nuts, that my friend Iris made as a Christmas gift. 
She made Tandoori Cashews, Roasted Almonds, and Wasabi Peanuts.  They were delicious, and the perfect accompaniment to our wine. 

Later, I wipped together a tossed salad and prepared a cheese fondue.  Growing up, cheese fondue was very much a New Year's Eve tradition with my parents.  I'm not sure I really enjoyed it when I was 5, but I must agree, it is a decadent, delicious way to ring in the New Year.  It was my first time making cheese fondue, so I was a bit nervous.  I decided to use my mom's recipe, from her 1970's Betty Crocker Cookbook that was her go-to cookbook.  I was also excited to use my new All-Clad crockpot.  It has an aluminum insert for cheese and chocolate fondues, which excitingly enough, can be used as a pot to start the fonude on the stove.  One less pan!



The recipe suggested serving the fondue with apples and pears as well as bread.  We never had apples with the cheese fondue before, but they went really well with the cheese.  Quite a yummy dinner!

After dinner, we watched James Bond, Quantum of Solace on TV.  It was nice to cuddle on the couch with the dog, and imagine how life will be when we have a dog of our own.  The movie ended at 11:00, so we decided to head over to the house.  We brought Abbey over to my in-laws first, because we didn't want her to get scared and get hurt somehow in our house.  Then, we trudged through the snow with a bottle of Champagne and a few glasses.  There was just enough time to take a tour of the house, and spend a few moments discussing the future, before it was midnight.  We enjoyed our first glass of Champagne inside our house, and watched the fireworks explode in the sky. 


We are looking forward to the year ahead and wish you all a wonderful, surprise filled 2011!

Keine Kommentare: