Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Sonntag, 23. Januar 2011

Lotsa cuteness

I realize that I don't post about my job too much, but sometimes, it deserves a mention here.  The kids this year are so gosh-darn cute.  And of course, they do the cutest things and say the cutest things. 
Here are a few ultra-cute examples:

1.  Peanut butter has become a hot commodity among the Junior Kindergarteners this year.  I have no idea why, as most kids don't really know or eat PB.  But whatever, most kids think peanut butter is better than, well peanut butter and jelly :)  So the other day, the teacher in our room had used some peanuts in a shell to decorate the classroom.  I was sitting at the table with one of my little guys (who I happen to adore,) and he picks up the peanut.  Here's our convo:
Me:  "Hey, do you know what this is?"
Kid:  "Of course, it is a shell."
Me:  "Yeah, but do you know what is inside?"
Kid:  "Don't be silly, Ms. Allison.  Of course I know, its a Peanut Butter Nut!"

2.  The other day, we played "Farmer in the Dell."  The music teacher is from Wales, so her acccent is slightly different than say, mine, to which the kids have become quite accustomed.  So, back to "Farmer in the Dell," we get to the part where "the child takes a nurse,"  but you can imagine it came out more like "nas."  One of our kids, who came from Belgium, and is now a very good little English speaker, looks very confused.  I asked her what's wrong, to which she replied, "In Belgium, (points to nose,) this is nas."

And of course, other cuteness abounds.  Last week, one of our kids turned 5.  Normally birthday parties fall into two categories at school: 1) Moms with lots of money and little time buy a cake that no one eats, or 2) Moms who have enough time, but make cupcakes from a mix (yes, I admit often the Americans,) but again, cupcakes that no one eats.  Well, this mom almost borders on one of those moms I read about in blogs.  I feel like her birthday cupcakes could end up on the Hostess with the Mostess blog that I adore.  Mom made garden theme cupcakes, with crumbled cookie crumbs on top, and then on top of that, marzipan vegggies.  When she put them all in a pan, they really resembled veggies growing out of dirt.  She even had edible "signs," on which she signposted the rows of different veggies.  In the front, she had a large label, "Kid's Garden."  As a party favor, she bought each child and us teachers, a little flower.  It was such a creative and fantastic looking idea!
Here's a picture of my cupcake and flowers:

1 Kommentar:

Emily hat gesagt…

I'm slowly catching up here - I love the kiddie stories! It has to be incredible to watch them and help them learn so much!