Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2008

Return to normalcy

In the past three days, we've had two major celebrations. Now, I'm tired, and the apartment is neglected, but I feel truly happy.
We decided to go to a restaurant on the Swabian Alb. The restaurant, Forellenhof Roessle, is a wonderful restaurant, specializing in trout, which is farmed on the premises. We have been to the restaurant a few times, but decided that it was truly special enough for our anniversary.
Not only is the restaurant wonderful, but it is nestled in a beautiful area. Towering on a hill high above the restaurant is the Schloss Lichtenstein During my first trip to Germany, Joern brought me to Schloss Lichtenstein. I love looking up at the castle
from the restaurant and reminiscing about that first trip 8 years ago.
Dinner itself was incredible. We began with an Angus beef Carpaccio with truffel vinaigrette. It was amazing! For dinner, Joern departed from his usual Wiener Schnitzel, and instead had traditional Swabian roast pork with onion. I had an amazing "Miller style" trout with cream style potatoes. Aaah, heaven!
After our wonderful meal, we stopped by to visit the rabbits kept by the family who owns the restaurant. No worries though, I checked, they are not food rabbits!
It was such a wonderful, romantic evening.
Tuesday night did not bring any rest with it. I had to make cupcakes for work on Wednesday. In Germany, one brings cake to work on their birthday. As an American, I always looked at work birthday celebrations as a time when others bring in cake or lunch or whatever for the birthday celebrant. Not the other way. During my time working at Patch High School, I made many birthday treats for my colleagues. Never once, did I make my own birthday cake. But, now, I am working in a German school, and must follow the German cultural traditions. Therefore, I spent the night before my birthday making vanilla cupcakes with vanilla and raspberry frosting.
I used Paula Deen's 1-2-3-4 cake and Martha Stewart's Mix and Match Cupcake Frosting

Keine Kommentare: