Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 23. September 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year


Okay, we're not quite there yet, but it is time to start planning for Christmas.
Christmas planning moves to a whole new level when you are an expat. Today, it hit me that I need to get going.

First of all, I need to find a formal dress. Every year, our school holds a benefit Christmas dinner and dance. Our parents are the upper-crust of Stuttgart society, and when they attend a benefit dinner-dance, it is an all out formal event. Last year, I was lucky enough to have a dress, but this year, I need to get one. My two options are to find one here, which is guaranteed to be quite expensive, or I can order one from home. I will take option #2, but I need to get started now. Yikes!

Second, I need Christmas cards. Allison quality Christmas cards do not exist here. Hallmark does not deliver to APO boxes. Two years ago, I had to send my poor mom to Hallmark to buy two boxes of cards and send them to me. This year, I am thinking of something with photos, which means I need to order them soon. Also, because my Christmas cards are being sent from Germany, I need to have them completed by Thanksgiving. If I send them out past the first week of December, there isn't a guarantee they will make it by Christmas.

Third, Joern and I need to start thinking about our holiday party. What started as a small Thanksgiving celebration 6 years ago, has grown into a 30+ guest soiree. It has grown in tremendous proportions, and requires tremendous planning. Last year, I fell short in planning, and was totally stressed the week of the party. I must review all my cooking and baking machines and gadgets, and determine if I need to purchase anything new. I already know that our hand-mixer will not survive this holiday season! The combination of work, the necessity of arranging the purchase of American food, and the space problem we are facing means that planning needs to begin at the latest, next weekend.

Last, Christmas gifts. I love buying Christmas gifts from Germany. The problem is that every year, it becomes more and more difficult to not repeat gifts. Germany is famous for many things, but I am not sure how many Germany hats, beer glasses, and other minor German paraphenalia I can manage to give away before people are sick of my gifts. Grrrr. Again, my thoughts need to start turning to making gift lists and the search for gifts should start tomorrow when I go downtown for the afternoon.

Our tickets home are already booked. We are leaving the week before Christmas, so my to do's are cut down by one week. I am already getting excited for the holiday season!

Keine Kommentare: