Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Samstag, 20. August 2011

Anatomy Scan

Yesterday, we had the baby's 20 week anatomy scan.  The doctor spent about 30 minutes with the ultrasound.  It was just amazing to see the Erbse again!
She showed us his arms and hands, we were able to count 5 fingers on each hand.  Then, she switched to the legs, and confirmed that the Erbse is indeed a little boy.  She showed us the bones in his legs, and each of the feet.  There are 5 toes on each foot too :)

Its hard to see, but if you look carefully, one of the Erbse's feet is in the top middle of the picture.


She showed us his heart, and we heard his heartbeat.  She showed us the blood flowing through the umbilical cord.  She showed us his spine, which also looks very good. 

The entire time, the Erbse was quite active, which is why the pictures are blury.  It was much clearer on the screen, but when she went to capture the image on the screen, the little bugger, *ahem* Erbse, would squirm around, and everything went blury. 

I asked about his kidneys, because my grandmother only had one fully developed kidney.  She said that they are both fine, as well as his bladder, and lungs. 

What had to be the most amazing part of the scan was when she put it on 4D.  The Erbse was sucking his thumb, but not just a little bit of his thumb, but his entire thumb, including the fat part, and was wiggling it around in his mouth.  Again, hard to get a good picture because we have an energetic little Erbse who would not hold still for a picture.  So, the following picture is a little freaky, but if you look closely, you can see that little hand jammed into his mouth:

Before the scan was completed, the doctor switched it back to 2D to take some measurements.  The Erbse is measuring at date or 1-2 weeks ahead on everything. She said that it was all very good, and he is developing quite healthily!

I had a few concerns to bring up though.  I asked about the passing out at Babies R'Us incident, and she said that it was completely normal.  I also asked about feeling the Erbse, because I'm not feeling him move over the day.  Again, she said it is fine, and 20 weeks is early to feel the first baby.  Then, the doctor brought up that my iron was low, so I am now on iron supplements.  She then asked if I would like to take a glucose tolerance test.  Given my family history, being the child of two diabetics, I immediately jumped on this offer.  So, on September 7, at 8 am, I will be at the doctor's office at 8:00 in the morning for a few hours while I drink super sweet, spike your blood sugar, syrup, and have my blood taken periodically to see how my body process glucose.  Fingers crossed that this works okay!

Otherwise, everything went very well.  We are so in love with our little Erbse, and are entirely convinced that we truly have the most adorable little boy in the world.  I'll leave you all with one final photo:


Keine Kommentare: