Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 5. Juli 2011

Our last doctor's appointment

Life got really crazy last week, as our Richtfest preparations reached full swing.  But, we had such an exciting Monday, I really wish I could have posted about it. 
We went to our second OB appointment on Monday evening.  Everything looks GREAT!
The ultrasound showed that the Erbse is the correct size, growing well, good heartbeat.  The doctor started with the traditional 2-D ultrasound.  It was so cute, because we could see that the Erbse had reached "gummy bear" stage.  Around 9 weeks, the embryo looks and is about the same size, as a gummy bear.  She showed us the fingers, and toes- there are 10 of each :)  And she let us watch for a while, because the Erbse was moving all over the place! 
Then, she switched 3-D.  OH MY GOSH, I could not believe that they would do a 3-D ultrasound at almost 10 weeks.  Normally, I've seen 3-D ultrasounds from 20 weeks or even later.  But, wow, 10 weeks.  And, it was just amazing!



Maybe it is a little naive of me, but I had no idea that the Erbse already was a baby!  You can see the ears, the arms, little tummy, legs, feet, toes!  AMAZING!

Seeing the Erbse like this really made it feel a lot more real, especially since I have such few symptoms, I don't seem to feel pregnant yet.  The doctor said that everything was healthy, and looked great. 

We decided to do the NT scan, which measures the folds of the neck for possible Down Syndrome, as well as checks the organs for development.  I had blood taken for the test already at the end of Monday's appointment, and we have our next appointment for the scan on June 29th. 

I also received my Mutterpass (Mother's Passport,) from the doctor. 
The Mutterpass is a form of documentation, as a quick reference for all OB appointments during the pregnacy, and a few weeks after the birth.  I am assuming it is especially useful when you visit other doctors, like your GP or if you have to go to the hospital.  But, it is also a very handy thing to have.  In my Mutterpass, I have listed:
-dates and times of appointments
- any blood tests and results
- results of ultrasounds
- a running documentation of my weight and blood pressure
- documentation of previous pregnancies (including my ectopic pregnancy)

It seems like a really great way to keep a lot of information really handy.  You have to give Germans credit for their efficency!

With the exciting news, Joern and I headed home, and I made my first baby purchase!
I bought a diaper bag!  I fell in love with it a few weeks ago, and it was on sale at Kate Spade.  My plan was to make the purchase if everything was okay.  Yay!  I bought the Kennywood Small Coal Baby Bag, which despite the word small, is quite sizable:

What really won me over, besides the very "Allison," design of the bag, and the fact that it isn't overly boyish or girlish, is the fact that it comes with stroller straps, so you can attach it to the handles of your stroller, which seems really convenient!

Its official- we are on our way to becoming parents!  Joern and I are just over the moon excited!

2 Kommentare:

Steffi hat gesagt…

What a great bag! And it isn't a pink Allison one. :-)

JoernandAllison hat gesagt…

Thank you Stefanie! I thought it fit me quite well, and since it shouldn't be pink, it seemed to be the best choice!