Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Montag, 4. Juli 2011

Our latest, and greatest, news!

Sometime's its better to let pictures do the talking:
And yes, the post card is in the background for added impact:  we were in Hong Kong when we found out! 

Our little Erbse (or pea in English,) is due on January 3, 2012.  Joern and I could not be more excited!  Just look:



Obviously, we were quite cautious this time around in our excitement though, considering our last pregnancy was ectopic.  But, we did tell Joern's parents in Hong Kong, on the sidewalk, somewhere between our hotel and 7Eleven.  Of course, we toasted to the Erbse at the White Stag!

Once we returned from Hong Kong, we called the doctor straight away to set up an appointment.  She saw us on Wednesday, the 11th of May.  First thing, it was time for the ultrasound, just to make sure that the Erbse was okay. 
Gestational age:  6w1d

We were so relieved when the doctor said that everything looked good.  The Erbse is the right size and in the right place.  We even got to see the heartbeat, which may have been the most incredible thing I have ever seen!

After the hoorays and tears calmed down, it was time to discuss a few things.  First were the "No's". No drinking, no smoking, no raw meat, no unpasteurized milk products.  We also discussed tests that were covered by the compulsory government health insurance, and those that were an additional cost.  She gave me a list of tests and their cost.  The blood test for thyroid was covered, but the tests for CMV and rubella were not covered, they were 15 Euro each.  Since I work with little kids, we felt that the additional tests were very important.  So, after I finshed chatting with the doctor, I had a blood test, for my hormone levels, thyroid, CMV and rubella immunity.  We're waiting to hear back on the results.

I called my dad on Wednesday night to tell him the good news.  He also had very good news to share that his foot is healing nicely.  Then, I shared my news.  I think my dad is very excited with the idea that he is going to be a grandpa.  He'll be a super grandpa, I know that already!

We've only shared the news with a few people so far, and everyone is so very happy.  I told my long time friend Erica last week over the phone, and we squealed like we were eleven again.  I shared the news with my friend Mandy, and she was so very happy.  Yesterday, we shared the news with two other friends, Heidi and Julie.  I was hoping to do it in a more dramatic way, but instead, Joern simply announced, "You know that Allison is pregnant, right?"  Obviously, lots of clapping and congraulations.  I also told my friend Iris, who also offered many hoorays and congratulations, as well as two other friends at work.  I know that outing yourself so early at work isn't always desiriable, but I needed to let a few people know for a variety of reasons. 

Otherwise, things are going well.  I feel well, have slight nausea, a little tenderness and pains, but overall, just excited.  With every day that goes by, my sigh of relief grows a bit.  I have started looking into nursery furniture, and figuring out how on earth to properly set up that gigantic bedroom that will become the Erbse's nursery.  I am hoping to buy the furniture at home, and to ship it in a partial container back.  Fingers crossed that I can figure out how to do it!  I am so looking forward to taking my aunt baby shopping when I am home this summer.  I am sure it will be an exciting time for the both of us!

I haven't quite figured out how I will do baby posts from now on.  Not sure if I will write letters to the baby, keep this as a personal diary, or what.  No worries, I'll continue to post.  Can't wait to see what the next 9 months bring!

2 Kommentare:

Steffi hat gesagt…

I love the nickname! :-)

JoernandAllison hat gesagt…

Thank you! It has really stuck. We have a lemon now, but still our little Erbse :)