Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Samstag, 17. Mai 2008

Reflections on lunch with an old friend

Today was wonderful! The sun shined all day as I joined an old high school friend for lunch. A wonderful afternoon of catching up and sharing memories. It was extra wonderful because I was unable to make it to my 10th high school reunion this past November. Great to get some of the dirt :)

As I talked with her, I realized how lucky I am to have my life. Not only do I have Joern, who is so wonderful, but I have brilliant friends. In Germany, I have an incredible group of friends, both friends from working on the military base, and some from my new job. I also am realizing that although I may have lost touch with some old friends, it most certainly does not mean they are completely out of my life. The more old friends I meet up with, the more I realize why we were friends in the first place. The more I realize too how thankful I am to have them back in my life. True, they are scattered all over, but it is nice to see how much we've grown up, and nice to know that we will continue to follow each other as we continue to grow.

My move overseas taught me the importance of friends, a concept which I had not previously bought into. I am also learning though the true value in the friends who have known you a long time. The ones who know your history, and can help you see yourself through different eyes.

So, here's to Virginia. My fabulous Manhattanite friend who through a few hours over lunch made me appreciate all the more the wonderful people who have entered my life, and stayed despite losing touch. Thanks so much!

Keine Kommentare: