Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Dienstag, 12. August 2008

Boston- Part II

We left for Boston on Monday the 14th of July. Boston is really close to Fairfield, it was about a three hour drive. When we first arrived, we drove to our hotel, which was not directly in Boston, but right outside in Saugus. To our surprise, the hotel offered a shuttle to the airport, from where we could pick up the T (the subway system) into Boston. This made me VERY happy as we drove with my father's car, and I wasn't too excited to drive the car into the city.
Although I have been to Boston quite a few times, and taken the T, I never realized that it was the first subway system in America. One thing I adore about Boston is the history!

Once we arrived in the city, we got off near Boston Common. We wandered around until we got our bearings straight. Joern had it all planned out- his #1 destination? The Bull and Finch Pub, better known as the inspiration for Cheers. Since it is across from Boston Common, we quickly found it. After snapping countless pictures outside the pub, and singing the theme song from Cheers, we descended those famous steps into Joern's heaven.

After Joern got to enjoy a beer, and we took another thousand or so pictures of the interior, wooden Indian included, we made our way upstairs to the obligatory gift shop.

From Cheers, we decided to head over to Quincy Market. It was a wonderful walk, which gave us a good feel for the city. Unfortunately, we didn't have that much time, nor did Joern have that much interest, but I would have adored going on a Freedom Trail Tour. To me, walking around the city, being fed bits of information on the founding of our country, with a person from the 1700s (they must be really old people,) would be my heaven. Boston and history geeks seem to be the perfect meeting point!
Some of the highlights that we saw, that I can't wait to visit included: the Granary Burial ground (where Ben Franklin and many other patriots are buried), the Old South Meeting House, the Old State House, and Faneuil Hall.



Once I wiped all the drool from my face, we made our way through Quincy Market. There are an incredible number of shops in Quincy Market. Joern, of course, was most impressed with the numerous food options in the central market building!

In Quincy Market, we decided to book one of the coolest things we did on the entire trip: a Duck Tour! The Duck Tour departed from the Science Museum. Fortunately, we bought day-passes for the T, because we really used them! The Duck Tour was great! Our driver was spirited, although a bit whacky, but overall, good fun. We drove by many cool places on the tour. Some of the amazing sites: Trinity Church, Old South Church, the Bunker Hill Monument, and the Old Navy Yard containing the USS Constitution and the Old North Church (One if by land, two if by sea...).





After our tour, and the tiring day, we headed back to Saugus for dinner. What really made me laugh was the GIGANTIC themed restaurants that lined the street where we were staying. I felt strangely like I was in some Disney restaurant theme park!
We finally settled on Fudruckers, a classic burger chain. To my burger-loving husband, this was better than eating in a Michelin-starred restaurant.

Tuesday morning, we headed back into Boston for breakfast. We decied that we couldn't go wrong at Quincy Market, and we were not disappointed. It was also wonderful to walk around Quincy Market without the throngs of tourists you find in the afternoons. Before we left, we found the replica Cheers bar, also located in Quincy Market. Alas, Joern was not half as impressed as he was by the Bull & Finch.
We left Boston by 10:00, and made our way out to Salem.

2 Kommentare:

Emily hat gesagt…

I can't get enough of Boston... it's so delightful.

I also love your pictures! They look great - what did you end up using for them?

Holly hat gesagt…

I love Boston, too, for its history. I love the character and charm. That's great you did a duck tours- that's a Boston instituion in itself!