Welcome to our life!

Hi, I'm Allison! I'm a thirtysomething, freshly baked, stay-at-home mom. I'm originally from Connecticut, now living in Germany, hence the name of the blog. I live in southern Germany with my German husband and our baby boy. Life has turned out to be nothing I ever expected, and am so incredibly happy with it! We certainly do have a lot of laughs! I hope you will enjoy following our new experiences raising a little half American/ half German in a little German town.

Sonntag, 3. August 2008

Quick book review


While I was home, I finished yet another Philippa Gregory book, The Queen's Fool. And again, I was not disappointed. After reading The Other Boleyn Girl, I was completely hooked. The only difficulty for me in all her books is my limited knowledge of the English monarchy. If I had a better handle on this history, I would have a much easier time getting through the books.

This story is the third I've read by Gregory. Following TOBG, I read The Constant Princess, the story of Catherine of Aragon. This is the story of Hannah Green, a Spanish Jew whose father escapes religious persecution in Spain, to bring his daughter up in England as a Catholic. She becomes a fool to Queen Mary, as she has powers to see the future. But it turns out that really, she becomes a favorite, trusted friend of both Queen Mary and Princess Elizabeth for her ablility, or willingness, to tell the truth. The reader watches Hannah grow up from a willful young girl into a strong, self-assured woman. Gregory's characters are frequently very strong women in a time when women's roles did not involve fulfilling their personal needs.


Besides the story of the main character, the sub-plot is completely intriguing. The focus of the sub-plot being the rise of Princess Elizabeth to power. Also the struggle between Mary and Elizabeth for the love of the people, and the power over the ever-wavering court. Gregory gives a voice and emotions to these historical events.


As with the other books, I feel that Gregory does an excellent job delievering history with fictional stories. She gives a voice to history. It is a book that I would highly recommend to others.

Personally, I find her books long reads, although I have heard many read her books quickly. Because of this, I have decided to read another book, Expecting Adam, before returning to another Gregory novel. Even though I am really enjoying Expecting Adam, I am highly anticipating my return to Gregory in The Virgin's Lover.

Keine Kommentare: